Mount Meru Trek
Perhaps there is no better vantage point to gaze at Africa’s tallest mountain, Kilimanjaro, than from a Mount Meru trek. Though often ignored in favour of its big sister Kilimanjaro, Mount Meru is a worthy trekker’s paradise. This massive volcano towers over 3,000 meters above Arusha town. The craggy top lies at the westernmost point of the summit ridge at 4566 m (14,979 feet). Normally done as a 4 day trek; however can be completed in 3 days,
- Tour Name: Mount Meru Trek
- Price Range: $1345 US
- Duration: 4 days
- Country(s): Tanzania
- Tour Type: Private
- Start & Finish: Arusha
- Tour Code: TMM4
- Activities: Mountain climbing
Pricing per person sharing, minimum 2 people:
- All year 4 day trek – $1345 US
- 3 day trek possible – $1150 (summit and descent could take 12 hours) or day hikes
- Accommodations in huts while climbing
- All meals while climbing
- Arusha transfers
- Mountain Guide and porters
- Visas, tips, souvenirs, beverages, hiking equipment and items of a personal nature.
- Extend days in Arusha
- Safari in Kenya, Uganda, Tanzania or Rwanda
Mount Meru Trek Itinerary
Transfer from Arusha to begin climbing of Mt. Meru. Three hours walk gets you to the floor of the Meru Crater. Overnight is at Miriakamba Hut.
Climb to Saddle Hut, taking about 3 hours along the steep saddle walls. After lunch, explore little Meru, 3820 m, a climb of 1.5 hours. Overnight is at Saddle Hut.
Ascend to the summit of Mt. Meru, 4566 m, taking 5 hours. Explore the summit and then descend to Miriakamba Hut for overnight, another 2 – 2.5 hours.
Descend to Kitoto and back to Momella Gate, with transfer to Arusha.
View Larger Map Mount Meru