Climbing Mt Kilimanjaro Rongai
Unspoiled wilderness greets you on the Climbing Mt Kilimanjaro Rongai route. This lesser known track usually has far less traffic than the other routes. Rongai route offers a different perspective on Kilimanjaro by approaching from the north. It is generally considered to be the easiest of the quality routes.
- Tour Name: Climbing Mt Kilimanjaro Rongai Route
- Price Range: $2695 US
- Duration: 8 days (6 climbing)
- Country(s): Tanzania
- Tour Type: Private
- Start & Finish: Arusha
- Tour Code: TKRON
- Activities: Mountain Climbing
Pricing per person. Note that pricing includes new tariffs imposed by Tanzanian Government as of July 1, 2017. Subject to change.
- 2 people climbing – $2695 US
- 1 person climbing – $3385 US
- 2 nights hotel, 5 nights mobile tents
- 7 breakfasts, 6 lunches, 7 dinners
- Ground transfers to and from Arusha or Kilimanjaro airport
- Climbing permit
- Mountain guide
- Park Entrance fees
- Safety equipment
- Visas, medical insurance, climbing equipment, sleeping bags, hyperbaric chamber, oxygen tanks, toilet tent, tips, beverages, and items of a personal nature.
- Extra acclimatization night $340 US
- Hyperbaric Pressure Bag $35 US per day
- Chemical toilets $30 US per day
- Oxygen Cylinder $25 US per day
- Other trekking gear can be rented
- Safari in Tanzania, Kenya, Rwanda or Uganda
Day 1 Moshi
Pick up from Arusha town or Kilimanjaro International Airport and transfer to Moshi town for rest and overnight.
Day 2 Rongai Gate (1950m) – 1st Caves camp (2600m)
Transfer to the Rongai trailhead (2.5 hours drive). Climb gently through a forest to First Cave, at about 2,600 meters. 5 hours hiking time.
Day 3 Kikelelwa Cave (3600m)
Pass Second Cave before reaching Kikelelwa Cave at about 3600 meters. The views show you that you’re on a huge mountain. Hike for 6 – 7 hours today.
Day 4 Mawenzi Tarn camp (4330m)
A short but steep climb up grassy slopes offers superb views of this wilderness area. Your next camp is at Mawenzi Tarn, 3 – 4 hours hike.
Day 5 Kibo Camp (4700m)
Continue ascent to Kibo Camp, crossing the saddle between Mawenzi and Kibo, taking 4 to 5 hours. The remainder of the day is spent resting in preparation for the final ascent, which begins at midnight.
Day 6 Summit at Uhuru Peak (5895m) – Horombo hut (3720m)
You will rise before midnight, and then the going really gets tough. The first section of the trail is a rocky path, which then zigzags up to Gillman’s point (5681m), on the crater rim. This section is very steep with a lot of stone scree. From Gillman’s Point you will normally encounter snow all the way up to Uhuru peak (5895m), the highest point in Africa. The descent back to Horombo hut is another 6 hours. Total hiking time today is 14 hours.
Day 7 Marangu Gate (1980m)
After breakfast you continue your descent (6 hours), passing the Mandara hut, down to the Marangu gate. You now drive back to Moshi for a long overdue hot shower, dinner and celebrations!
Day 8 Depart
After breakfast, transfer back to Arusha town.
View Kilimanjaro in a larger map