Kilimanjaro Trek Rongai
Unspoiled wilderness greets you on the Kilimanjaro Trek Rongai route. This lesser known track usually has far less traffic than the other routes. Rongai route offers a different perspective on Kilimanjaro by approaching from the north. It is generally considered to be the easiest of the quality routes.
- Tour Name: Kilimanjaro Trek Rongai Route
- Price Range: $2225 US
- Duration: 8 days (6 climbing)
- Country(s): Tanzania
- Tour Type: Private
- Start & Finish: Arusha
- Tour Code: TKRON
- Activities: Mountain Climbing
Pricing per person. Pricing is subject to change.
- 2 people climbing – $2225 US
- 1 person climbing – $2890 US
- 2 nights hotel, 5 nights mobile tents
- 7 breakfasts, 6 lunches, 7 dinners
- Ground transfers to and from Arusha or Kilimanjaro airport
- Climbing permit
- Mountain guide
- Park Entrance fees
- Safety equipment
- Visas, medical insurance, climbing equipment, sleeping bags, hyperbaric chamber, oxygen tanks, toilet tent, tips, beverages, and items of a personal nature.
- Upgrade to deluxe or luxury trek
- Extra acclimatization night $265 US
- Hyperbaric Pressure Bag $35 US per day
- Chemical toilets $30 US per day
- Oxygen Cylinder $25 US per day
- Other trekking gear can be rented
- Safari in Tanzania, Kenya, Rwanda or Uganda
Rongai Route Itinerary
Day 1 Moshi
Pick up from Arusha town or Kilimanjaro International Airport and transfer to a base hotel in Moshi town for overnight.
Day 2 Rongai Gate (1950m) – 1st Caves camp (2600m)
Transfer to the Rongai trailhead (2.5 hours drive). A gentle climb through forest takes us to First Cave, at about 2,600 meters, 5 hours hiking time.
Day 3 Kikelelwa Cave (3600m)
Pass Second Cave before reaching Kikelelwa Cave at about 3600 meters. The views give you an idea of the majesty of the mountain. Hike for 6 – 7 hours today.
Day 4 Mawenzi Tarn camp (4330m)
A short but steep climb up grassy slopes offers superb views of this wilderness area. Your next camp is at Mawenzi Tarn, 3 – 4 hours hike.
Day 5 Kibo Camp (4700m)
Continue ascent to Kibo Camp, crossing the saddle between Mawenzi and Kibo. This will take 4 to 5 hours. The remainder of the day is spent resting in preparation for the final ascent, which begins at midnight.
Day 6 Summit at Uhuru Peak (5895m) – Horombo hut (3720m)
Rise before midnight, and then the going really gets tough. The first section of the trail is a rocky path, which then zigzags up to Gillman’s point (5681m), on the crater rim. This section is very steep with a lot of stone scree. From Gillman’s Point you will normally encounter snow all the way up to Uhuru peak (5895m). Take in the view from the highest point in Africa. The descent back to Horombo hut is another 6 hours. Total hiking time today is 14 hours.
Day 7 Marangu Gate (1980m)
After breakfast, continue your descent (6 hours) down to the Marangu gate. You will then drive back to Moshi for celebrations!
Day 8 Depart
Finally, after breakfast, transfer back to Arusha town.